27 August 2015

Seeta's birthday cake 2015

We had an early birthday celebration for my 2nd sister during our weekly dinner gathering at my parents' house. I took the chance to have fun and try to bake something new/different.

I had tried this particular Strawberry Shortcake recipe before, but the first attempt last year was not too ideal, as I was new to bain-marie method (which is a fancy term for waterbath) then. Unfortunately, for this round, the baking result was also not perfected yet. I was supposed to get a nice soft and beautifully risen round cake, but it deflated unevenly after cooling and was sloping on one side.

Thankfully, my Wilton small cake leveler (view it on Wilton online store here) had already arrived through hubby's consolidated Amazon purchases. It was such a lifesaver and easy-to-use tool. I wonder why it took me so many years to decide to get this. I always ended with a backache after baking and slicing and decorating cakes in my kitchen with a flimsy adaptation of a cake turntable. Not to mention uneven and sloping cake layers.

Strawberry shortcake recipe. Filled with strawberries. Topped with mandarin oranges, strawberries, peach and blueberries.




The cake base recipe is from a church-mate Valerie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment