05 September 2015

Bye MBP, Hello Mac Mini

I had been using hubby's Macbook Pro for a while now, and it has been "degrading" somewhat. I was facing problems like slower speed (which was to be expected), unusually hot surface (the internal fan was probably broken), and a totally dead touchpad (which wasn't a problem since I was mainly using it as a desktop and used a separate USB mouse anyway).

Purchasing a new Mac-based system for use as a desktop had been on my mind for quite a while. I had put off the purchase for a couple of IT fairs/expos by now, and I was getting a bit more fed-up with the performance lately, as the surface was getting really hot, and it shuts down on me without warning.

I decided to just get a simple replacement, looking for size rather than portability, since I didn't have a real need for a portable machine. After some online (and store) research, I decided to get the Mac mini since I was still more accustomed to the Mac (rather than Windows) interface and programs.

It was the weekend of the quarterly IT fair, but there are usually not any good discounts offered for the Mac family machines. Thus I got the Mac mini from Challenger, where I could chalk up membership points and see what other discounts they could offer. We managed to get a good offer on software.

For the other hardware, it was all bought from COMEX 2015 at Suntec. YX followed us rather obediently (although she did grumble a bit about the walking and the crowds) as hubby helped me select and purchase a suitably-sized (and priced) monitor and keyboard.

Bye MacBook Pro (Top picture), Hello Mac Mini (bottom picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment