10 September 2015

Pressure cooking - pork rib carrot soup

I finally got down to buying a pressure cooker after eyeing one for the longest time ever! I was sick of pots of stock or beans or braising peanuts for hours on end over the gas stove, and still NOT getting the desired taste/texture I wanted. To be fair, I did try alternative methods of cooking like slow cooker and thermal cooker, but being the impatient me, I wanted something faster and more energy-efficient, without having the gas or electricity plugged in for hours. 

I was only familiar with the WMF brand as it was the one that my mother owned in her kitchen. I was shopping around the usual larger departmental stores (Metro, Takashimaya, OG, Robinsons) and came across an offer for a non-German/non-European brand. It was still quite costly but I decided to just get a cheaper one to use and experiment with recipes first. 

This is one of my first recipes on my "Pressure Cooker To-Cook list", a huge pot of soup stock for saving and freezing in batches. I wanted a pork and ikan bilis stock (according to the recipe shared by tummytroll), but did not have the exact ingredients on hand. 

My version below included Pork Ribs, carrots, onions, garlic, ikan bilis powder (whizzed in the grinder and scooped into DAISO empty tea pouches). It was sweet and flavourful after 30 minutes of cooking under the "High Pressure" setting. The vegetables were all soft and mushy, and the pork tough, but I didn't mind it as I was after only the stock.... Yay.... I am so happy that I can reduce my dependence on instant dashi granules and chicken stock cubes....

No comments:

Post a Comment